Monday, March 19, 2012

'A' Chicken And Benito Juarez Walk Into A Bar...

Happy Benito Juarez Day! Aaaaaaiiiiiieeeee! (Too racist sounding?) Born in a small adobe home (who wasn't back then?) in the village of San Pablo Guelatao, Oaxaca in 1806, Juarez would grow up to be a lawyer and politician and eventually serve five terms as El Presidente of Mexico. It's perfect that this day should fall during 'A' Week being that a large part of Juarez's reforms seperated church and state and almost completely disenfranchised the ruling religious figures. Talk about 'Good without God'. Basically, this guy was a political bad ass having resisted French occupation, overthrowing the Second Mexican Empire, and restoring the republic through liberal modernization. Sadly, after his death much of this progress was lost due to a lack of democratic and institutional stability. Bummer, dude. This is starting to feel too much like a history lesson but Juarez's accomplishments and legacy deserve to be recognized by not only the people of Mexico but any fans of democracy. Hmm...how to celebrate? I do live in New MEXICO so I'm sure I'll think of something today. Moving on.
Happy 'A' Week! "What the fuck is this all about, Adrian?" Well, I just learned about it last night and now from my talk hole to your brain box you will know too. 'A' Week is all about being "Good without God". Meaning that not all good people need a god as their moral compass to guide their life decisions and actions. I have no firm affiliation with any church or god but that doesn't make me a degenerate or any less moral than a god lover. Not to sound like a pompous wind bag but I'm betting I'm a better person than a large portion of supposedly good god-fearing folk. So I swear...a lot. But if God was down here dealing with this shit, he'd be swearing like a sailor too. The world can be pretty fucked sometimes, most of the time really, but myself and a large portion of the population don't need a god to "save" them. Now, there is nothing wrong with belief in God or religion and maybe one day I will officially join another religion but these are not necessary to being a decent human being. Wether you are a believer, nonbeliever, or "it's complicated", always try to be a good person and do the right thing for yourself and those around you.
Cluck. Cluck. Cluck. It's National Poultry Day! Mmmm....chicken....*drool* I live my food life in the much questioned realm of partial vegetarian. Meaning the only meats I consume are chicken and turkey. I have been living this way for a decade now and I may one day completely give these up as well but for now I still "require" them to survive. Being a poultry eater I've found myself answering questions from both full on meat eaters and vegans alike. You guys really don't understand how much you have in common when interrogating someone that doesn't live your lifestyle. You think I'm joking? I'm not here to defend/apologize for my ways but I am here to tell you how much I fucking love poultry. God damn. The amount of meals I can make with a couple of chicken breasts is amazing...and tasty. This is a pretty simple holiday to celebrate really. Eat some chicken or don't and save a chicken. To the meat eaters: Always remember where your food came from and respect the life that was given. To the vegetarians/vegans: You are not better people because you don't eat meat but I do repsect your decision and may one day join you. Can't we all just get along? Cluck. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. It's truly amazing how similar the feuds can be when it comes to religion vs. non-religion and meat vs. non-meat! Vicious.

    ReplyDelete