Monday, July 9, 2012

Math? Ick! Give Me a Video Game Any Day!

Throughout the entire time that I have been in school (which is a REALLY long time), I have always hated dealing with math class. I was never poor at the subject, but I don't think I ever truly enjoyed it. Your Holiday Hero, on the other hand, has consistently enjoyed math, math class, and practicing math on a daily basis. This would be the reason I turn to him at the grocery store to calculate price differences or in a restaurant to figure out the waiter's tip. Today, however, is Math 2.0 Day. Basically, this is the day to commemorate and remember the combination of mathematics and technology. Where would we be without the combination of math and science? In a nutshell, about 40 years in the past! So, for the ability to use a computer and all the other things that run on the math/science combo, yay math!
We all start somewhere, right?

The second and third holidays today work well together. It's Video Games Day and S.C.U.D (Savor the Comic, Unplug the Drama) Day. What better way to unplug the drama (and melodrama) of daily life than by engrossing in a fantasy world, video games or role-playing games. I have plenty of friends who gather as a group to engage in daily, weekly, or monthly RPG gaming sessions (I'm looking at you Justin, Space, Kelly, and Stef). For me, I only play video games on occasion and these games tend to center around kids' movies (Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, etc.) or something like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game. I know, it's childish, but it works. Holiday Hero (as well as many of our friends--looking at you Levi, Angie, Luis, Steven), however, loves games like GTA, Battlefront, etc. (you know, typical "guy" games). To celebrate, my friend Julie and I fought some evil pips, gnomes, Stoopid chickens, and a variety of other monsters in a game called Deathspank! HH also played a few computer games that looked rather thrilling as well.
That's my "Kill Creatures" pose!
 Pictured here is the tremendous hero Deathspank and his magically-inclined sidekick!

 Who? Me?

Now, S.C.U.D. Day basically gives us a reason to drop all the drama, annoyances, and other issues that bother us on a daily basis and simply enjoy the inherent pleasures of life. In my world, going to friends' house for dinner, playing games, and watching True Blood is definitely an awesome way to unplug the drama in my life! Thanks to Justin and Julie for having us over!

Here's to drama unplugged and video games!
CS, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment