Monday, February 6, 2012

A Power Point About Bob Marley And Mexico's Constitution

First off I'd like to apologize for today's late post but alas, your fearless leader is sick. So here I am sitting up in bed with cough drops and coffee by my side and antibiotics running through my system. Let's see how this goes...
Happy Just Say No To PowerPoint Observance Day! What's so wrong with PowerPoint? What's not? An endless array of bullet points, layed over an vast sea of old graphics, and haggered fonts. Oh look, fancy transitions. Bleh! I could make a better presentation with construction paper and a fucking crayon. You know what? I'm going to do that. It should be even more interesting since I'm ill and medicating. If you see a PowerPoint today throw rotten tomatoes at it, put it in the digital stocks, or burn it as a heretic. Let's all stand together hand in hand and say NO TO POWERPOINT!
Happy Bob Marley Day! Febraury is Jamaica's Reggae month and today marks the beginning of a week filled with Marley celebrations all around the island. (I'm guessing marijuana is involved.) I'm celebrating as best I can right now by keeping things mellow and listening to his greatest hits. Born this day in 1945, Marley wasn't just a musician or man he was an experience and a "omnipresent cry in our electronic world." The final show he performed before his death from melanoma was in Pittsburgh on Sept. 23, 1980. (That would kill anyone.)
Only the age of 36 when he passed the world lost a true original and rare voice on May 11, 1981. You can't be in a sour mood listening to Marley, I believe it to be a scientific improbability, and that's without the need for marijuana. Put on an album, kick back, and get taken to the islands. (Even if you're in Pittsburgh.)
Today's final celebration is Mexico's Constitution Day! It was actually signed on February 5, 1917 but today is the official state observance and a day to party with some fucking margaritas, or in my case water. Lots of water. Actually, the sale of liquor is stopped between Feb. 2-5, in non tourist areas, to commemorate Pancho Villa and his efforts during the revolution. (They wanted people sober to sign the constitution.) This constitution was a direct result of the Mexican Revolution of 1910 and was the first of its type to set out social rights. Major parts limiting the power of the Catholic Church, setting up the election system, and making education mandatory were important topics and concerns for most Mexican citizens in the early 20th Century. I should be throwing a fiesta and making the dogs parade around while I play mariachi music but the only fiesta today will be that of medication in my gut. But maybe I'll make a burrito today(that's not ignorant at all), or make a Mexican flag, or I'll watch a Pancho Villa documentary. Who knows? God am I white.

2 comments: