Friday, August 17, 2012

High-Flying Coasters are Hysterical!

Hey Holiday-teers! Celebration Sensation is back and ready to indulge you once again with the ravings of a holiday-mad woman. Today (Thursday, August 16) was quite an unfortunate day on which to fall for many of these holidays. Because it is so close to the new school semester beginning, I have been stuck in orientation for my Teaching Assistantship, and today was an extremely long day. I was only outside of buildings for about an hour between 9am and 7pm. Suck, right? And Holiday Hero has been steadily working on his upcoming art project (more details later), so our celebrations were unfortunately lacking. However, we celebrated in our own ways.
First, we have American Dance Week. Literally, I could dance any day, any time, anywhere (much to the chagrin of HH while we are walking around local stores), so this was a no brainer for me! If I can dance or have a good time moving to a beat, I surely will. So, today I walked around with a song in my head and a skip in my step (corny, I know). We also rocked out and danced like a wild bunch of heathens into the morning at last night's show. Here's a glimpse of the madness:
Multi-person pile-up (and some were members of the band)!

In our next celebration, we have National Airborne Day. This is a day designated by Congress to commemorate the airborne forces of the Armed Forces and was enacted by George W. Bush in 2001. On this day in 1940, the first military parachute proved that it was feasible to drop our forces behind enemy lines by parachute. Yay for parachute jumping!
I guess I would be the "fool"!

Roller Coaster Day is our third holiday. As a kid, I visited numerous amusement parks (Cedar Point (rode my first coaster there), Six Flags, Kennywood, etc.) with my family and rode every roller coaster I could find. I even went on the coaster at the "New York, New York" hotel in Las Vegas sitting next to a guy in the front car who didn't speak English. I always have and always will love coasters and wish that we had a large amusement park close to ABQ. We do have Cliff's Amusement Park, but I haven't yet visited the park. Today would have been perfect, but there was unfortunately no time. Perhaps, spurred on by this holiday, we will go before the end of the summer!
I seriously need to go here!
And finally, it's time to laugh (or not) at National Tell a Joke Day. This is one of the holidays that I was able to celebrate while sitting in my orientation. During a lull in the fun, I was able to bring up today's holidays and this one caught on like Writing-based wildfire! One of the great jokes we heard:
"If you're American before you go into the bathroom and American after exiting the bathroom, what are you when you're in the bathroom?" Wait for it..."You're (Euro) Peein' (pean)!" Ahhhh! Thanks Dan for that gem! Any other fantabulous jokes you'd like to share in the comments? Go for it!

That's it for today!
CS, out.

1 comment:

  1. A few days late, but I heard this one yesterday: A termite walks into a bar and asks, "Where's the bartender?"

    ReplyDelete