Monday, August 27, 2012

Second-Hand Romancein the Batty Persuasion

Are you ready for some holidays? Well, too bad because I have a fuckton to tell you about for today (Saturday, August 25), and you are ready to read all about them, right? Damn straight!
First up, we have International Bat Night. This is a global celebration of the winged creatures of the night dedicated to raising awareness about the ecological importance of bats as well as collecting funds for research into a disease called White Nose Syndrome which awakens bats during their hibernation, uses up their stored fat, and causes them to emerge too early during the winter. Over 30 countries are involved, so tonight is the night to join in the celebration for the Year of the Bat (2011-2012).
We don't normally have too many bat sitings around the Albuquerque area (save for those theater screens currently showing the Bat-man), so it might be a bit difficult for us to celebrate. However, our friend Sarah living in NE Ohio apparently had an unwanted house guest for the evening, so she was able to inadvertently celebrate International Bat Day for us! Thanks Sarah!
Next up we celebrate International Cosplay Day. I must thank Justin for bringing this one to our attention as well as defining exactly what it means to "cosplay." I have heard the term many times before but never truly understood what/how to do it. Justin also provided me with a character recommendation that, in my opinion, doesn't quite fit, but I appreciate the suggestion. Here is my (supposed) cosplay character:
Her name Sailor Jupiter, and she possesses powers associated with electricity, plants, and physical strength. I can understand giving me the character for the strength and "muscles of the group" identity but plants? I kill plants. Probably not the super best choice!

While I don't think I will ever be participating in any cosplay sessions, I at least have a starting point if I ever change my mind. Thanks Justin and Julie!

The next two sort of go together: National Kiss and Makeup Day and Romance Awareness Month. Men! Take heed! This is the month in which you are to be romantical with your mate and make them feel super appreciated. Women, you can do the same. If your mate is not treating you well, kick them in the face...
OR...give them the silent treatment (personally, I'm a fan of kicking). If that doesn't work and they still won't say sorry, go back to kicking...OR...withhold something "special" from them until they surrender. Bwahahaha! Thankfully, my Holiday Hero was quite lovely today as we took a nice stroll through Nob Hill, went shopping, and genuinely had a romantic "us" day. No kiss and makeup needed. But perhaps one of our faithful readers has a story they would like to share (please do, we love gossip and juicy details)!

And lastly, we have a holiday that HH and I love to celebrate every day of the year. Today is National Second-Hand Wardrobe Day! Who doesn't love going to a thrift store and finding a gem of a t-shirt (my favorite are the "team" shirts with numbers of the back) or an awesome pair of shoes that look like they've never been worn? Over the past two years, we have developed our bargain-shopping senses and have been able to assemble quite a collection of second-hand wardrobe items! Check out HH's complete thrift store-bought outfit:
Artie photo-bombed!
And thanks to Ivan and Space for their invaluable comments about this amazing outfit! Space wanted to make sure we all knew that some thrift stores sold used "unmentionables". Yeah, that's a good place to end this conversation. Until the morrow!

CS, out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment